Wednesday 6 February 2008

Information professionals guiding you to the best bits of the blogosphere

Josie Fraser runs the Edublog Awards, develops Web 2.0-based research communities, and reckons that blogging is the perfect cure for procrastinators and perfectionists


Q: Who are you?
A: I'm a social and educational technologist, a role that certainly didn't exist when I was checking out the careers guidance advice at school. Most recently I've been working on a JISC-funded project called Emerge, which is exploring the benefits of Web 2.0 tools to develop research communities. I'm also currently completing guidance on the benefits, risks and opportunities of using social networking services within education.

Q: Where is your blog?
A:
SocialTech (http://fraser.typepad.com/socialtech) is my current professional blog. It's just reached its first birthday! I blog at a few places and I'm at Twitter a lot at the moment, micro-blogging.

Q: Describe your blog and the categories on it
A:
It sticks to information and discussion on social networking, social media and social software. There is a lot of EdTech stuff in there since I work a lot in the education sector, and stuff that relates to the broader issues of digital literacy and social participation. I take a very relaxed approach to my personal blogs. I try to have fun with blogging and enjoy it rather than stress about the length of posts (they're getting longer, I'm afraid) or how often I post.

Q: What started you blogging?
A:
I started working in educational technology and it became clear to me very quickly that there were a lot of amazing people in my sector who were sharing resources, holding open conversations and exploring ideas. It was fantastic to be able to think through issues and make discoveries within a lively, smart and pretty funny international community. I've always been someone who thinks things through too much given half a chance. Blogging is great for whatever you want to call that: perfectionism or procrastinating. It's quick, dirty and iterative. The context is far more conversational. To me, blogging is about working through things, contributing your opinion to the pot. I'm dyslexic too and it's great to have a context where the odd mistake just doesn't matter.

Q: Do you comment on other blogs?
A:
I love to and wish I spent more time doing it. There is a huge value opening up discussions or just letting people know you are paying attention. Comments are the life blood of blogs.

Q: How does your organisation benefit from your blog presence?
A:
I've worked for several employers where blogging has been a part of my job. Any employer is hiring your ability to operate effectively within your networks, and to develop them. My employers and clients have benefited by having someone who is in touch and involved with what people are thinking and discussing, the interesting things people are getting up to, and the innovative ways they are solving problems.
Q: How does it help your career?
A:
Blogging is probably one of my primary sources for continuing professional development. Working and thinking publicly pushes you to try to represent your ideas clearly and to critically examine those ideas. It's a great showcase for your ideas, connections and conversations. Also, in my line of work online presence is an important thing.

Q: What good things have happened to you that could only have happened because of blogging?
A:
I've met people from all over the world and I've made some really great friends. I've also run the Edublog Awards for the past three years; that certainly wouldn't have happened without being actively involved in blogging myself. I'm incredibly proud of what we achieve: every year we get people participating internationally to create a resource for everyone that showcases the breadth of innovative work being done using weblogs and other social software to support learners and educators.

Q: Which blogs do you read for fun?
A:
I like art and tech blogs. I love We-make-money-not-art.com, and graffiti/street art blog Wooster Collective. Like most people, I read Post Secret. I also run a not-work blog, A Girl and a Gun, which is a film diary; it's been very successful and I get invited to a fair few premieres and festivals because of it.

Q: Which bloggers do you watch and link to?
A:
Loads! My aggregator has made grown adults cry! Also, there are all the people I keep track of within trusted community aggregators. I use Twitter, Flickr and Facebook in that way. I'd like to give a heads-up to some of the UK edublogging contingent who are doing some really interesting work:
Graham Attwell
www.pontydysgu.org/blogs/waleswideweb
Frances Bell
http://eduspaces.net/francesbell/weblog 
Helen Keegan
http://eduspaces.net/holla/weblog 
Scott Wilson
http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/members/scott 
Brian Kelly
http://ukwebfocus.wordpress.com 
Stephen Warburton
http://warburton.typepad.com 
Steve Wheeler
http://steve-wheeler.blogspot.com 

Not surprisingly, my relationships with all of them have been either started or augmented via our blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment